The silence descends into the inner being first — as also other things from the higher consciousness. One can become aware of this inner being, calm, silent, strong, untouched by the movements of Nature, full of knowledge or light, and at the same time be aware of another lesser being, the small personality on the surface which is made up of the movements of Nature or else still subject to them or else, if not subject to them, still open to invasion by them. This is a condition that any number of sadhaks and Yogis have experienced. The inner being means the psychic, the inner mind, the inner vital, the inner physical. In this condition none of these can be even touched, so there has been an essential purification. All need not feel this division into two consciousnesses, but most do. When it is there, the will that decides the action is in the inner being, not in the outer — so the invasion of the outer by vital movements can in no way compel the action. It is on the contrary a very favourable stage in the transformation because the inner being can bring the whole force of the higher consciousness in it to change the nature wholly, observing the action of Nature without being affected by it, putting the force for change wherever needed and setting the whole being right as one does with a machine. That is if one wants a transformation. For many Vedantins don’t think it necessary — they say the inner being is mukta, the rest is simply a mechanical continuation of the impetus of Nature in the physical man and will drop away with the body so that one can depart into Nirvana.
SRI AUROBINDO. *Letters on Yoga III, CWSA volume 30, pages 213 – 214.
Aurobindo was mistaken in thinking his yoga was the only yoga looking at outer transformation
In fact all yoga demands outer perfection. However depending on the yuga or time frame – outer changes are already in place to varying degrees before yoga is given
But let’s not debate this. The salient points are
- Don’t get upset if your mind does not come under control during daily activity. It takes time.
2). First learn to calm mind during meditation.
- The inner mind like Sri Aurobindo talks about – is something strong and powerful that is able to remain calm and silently observe the mind and emotions. This is the Sankhya method. This is the witness attitude.
The hangso method given by Yogananda is the beginning of witness attitude. Here they start from physical, to mind to emotions.
In Aurobindo the sequence is mind, emotions and physical.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both
- All shakti awakening gives the power of witness attitude. But in an extremely powerful way. And the awakened shakti takes over the body. I have seen in the tirthji sampradaya some of the disciples reciting complex Sanskrit hymns. ( before awakening , they did not know Sanskrit)
These things may seem very advanced but in reality they are minor step in the whole process. Much much much more has to be done
- Shakti by itself never sleeps. However the individual shakti called kundalini is asleep. It lies in the lower chakra. When it awakens then inner chakras Are penetrated and sadhak can reach divine levels. A Guru awakens it in varying levels – with mantra or touch or glancing The intensity varies as mild , moderate or intense. This is called kriyavati, kalavati , varnamayi. There is a fourth level I described above and elsewhere
The witness attitude is part of initial
- Most people talk about witness attitude and think the matter is over. I have seen many many Guru talk about witness attitude, silently observe and ignorantly preach it. But my friend that is a Beginning. Master baby steps first. This witness attitude can be done and makes progress you have a true Guru very strong and effective
This witness attitude has been described by patanjali as Yama and niyama. Take titiksha. The endurance. It is part of Yama niyama. It says endure the emotional pain that you get in life. Without a reaction or getting upset. That is in other words witness attitude. The great steps that you hear from everyone! And yogi call it the first step
Please don’t get me wrong. This witness attitude, inner calmness is very important once that is done well , A Guru has to appear. Shakti has to help. But in kaliyuga we are are told the opposite. React and do something. And they call it karma yoga. But karma yoga is doing something with no emotional reaction. And not caring about success or failure when the results come out
True karma yoga is done after perfection. Not before. Yes I know what Gita says but people did not understand it correctly.