Hindu calendar has 12 months.
- Kartika / Kartaka
- Maha / Magha
- Fagana / Phalguni
- Jetha / Jyestha
- Aso / Ashwin
I have given the calendars according to the Gujarati names
According to Yogananda – the months represent the 6 chakras. Since each chakra can be positive or negative, it becomes 12.
One of the most auspicious month is Shravana. It represents Shiv or Shankar Month. All yoga and all shakti awakening starts from Shiv or Shankar. There are many stories about why Shravan including that is the month Gauri did penance to reach Shiv or that is the month they did “Samudra Manthan”. After Samudra manthan, the first thing that came out of the ocean was poison and Lord Shankar just swallowed it and held it in his throat and turned green/blue and he then became known as Nilkanth after that. Kanth meaning throat and neel is the color
Whatever the reason, it is the post pious month and perfect for meditation. Many people meditate that month and eat only once a day. The best day for reaching Shankar or Shiv is Monday and if the new moon falls on Monday it is considered most auspicious for meditaiton. Tuesday of Shravan month signify Parvati and also auspicious
This year Shravan started on Monday, yesterday
Now back to Yoga.
I am not sure I can accurately assign the months to the chakra. Having said that, this is how I believe the months and chakras are assigned
- Kartaka (neg of Sahastrar , apex) and Magshar is positive of Sahastrar. Yogananda describes Magshar is Marg – meaning road, and shir meaning road to apex of the brain. In general it refers to Brahmanadi. However there is a special path between agna and Sahatrar and I believe it refers to it. A rare yogi knows this path
- Posh is negative of Agna and Maha or Magha is positive aspect of Agna chakra in the center of forehead. Magha or maha refers to Aum, the son of God in the bible or the holy ghost
- Fagana is the negative of Vishudha and Chaitra is the positive of Vishudha. Chaitra or Chitra means colorful design, refers to the place where body consciousness arises and we a very picturesque world. It also means that the sense of ugliness of the world is lost and it becomes very vivid and enjoyable
- Visakha is the negative of Anahata and Jyestha or Jetha is the positive. Jyestha means elder. It refers to Vishnu granthi – a place where the prana rests but is elevated above the lower body
- Ashadha is the negative of Manipur chakra and Shravana is the positive of Manipur (umbilical). This is where the real journey starts within. The road to this is kept a secret
- Bhadarwa is the negative of the lower 2 chakras ( Swadisthan and Muladhar) and Ashwin or Aaso is the positive of (Swadisthan and Muladhar). The two royal Dr for the devas or Gods are called Ashini kumari – they work in pairs. These two physicians see both aspects and bring balance. Thus the lower two chakras, that belong to Apara shakti are as a pair.
This subject is very complex and truly to understand why months and chakras are correlate you need to go way beyond Einsteins undertstanding of time.
Just thought I would shed a little light on this. Should I end by saying have a nice year?